CG Samples

Regular updates on the game progress.
SentimentalTrickster
Site Admin
Site Admin

CG Samples

Postby SentimentalTrickster » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Hello everyone!

I've decided to look for a CG artist once again. Surprisingly, it's much harder to find someone who can recreate the style of e.g. "No, thank you!" than an artist who will color backgrounds nicely. For now, I have 2 good samples to show you. The 2nd one was made by our awesome background artist, Elalu :) What do you think?

And here are the samples I rejected a long time ago, just for comparison. Look out, they are 18+!
18+ SAMPLES 7-zip file

If you don't have 7zip, here are the uncompressed pictures:
18+ SAMPLE 01
18+ SAMPLE 02
18+ SAMPLE 03
18+ SAMPLE 04
18+ SAMPLE 05
18+ SAMPLE 06
18+ SAMPLE 07
"There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English into sanity.”
― Jim Butcher, Changes

Roymaeda
SuperBacker
SuperBacker

Re: CG Samples

Postby Roymaeda » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Love how Haru looks cheerfully sassy and up beat. Meanwhile Jin looks smooth and charming. Faces seem really alive and I love the shadow detail we see on Jin's.
Odin " My darkness was darker than yours!".

EchoArbor
SuperBacker
SuperBacker

Postby EchoArbor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:27 am

Both look great! I am bias toward any Jin art though.

ChaosMorning
SuperBacker
SuperBacker

Postby ChaosMorning » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:10 am

The first one, for certain.

Also, I don't believe the file you linked to beneath the images is working properly.

SentimentalTrickster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SentimentalTrickster » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:51 pm

Roymaeda wrote:Love how Haru looks cheerfully sassy and up beat. Meanwhile Jin looks smooth and charming. Faces seem really alive and I love the shadow detail we see on Jin's.

Thank you for the feedback! I wanted them to kind of jump out from the screen and be really noticeable without looking too cartoonish.

EchoArbor wrote:Both look great! I am bias toward any Jin art though.

Well, I'm bias towards anything made by our background artist because she's an awesome person :D

ChaosMorning wrote:The first one, for certain.

Also, I don't believe the file you linked to beneath the images is working properly.

I'm sorry about that! Could you tell me what is wrong in more detail? The file is downloading fine on my computer. I wanted to give you a rar file as well, but Wordpress rejected it for some reason. If it's a problem with 7zip compression, I'll give you the links to the uncompressed pictures.
"There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English into sanity.”
― Jim Butcher, Changes

ChaosMorning
SuperBacker
SuperBacker

Postby ChaosMorning » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:52 pm

I think it's the zip. It's downloading as a.. not a corrupt file, but my computer isn't registering it as any type of file. Doesn't seem to know what it is. The link would probably be best?

camneliops80
SuperBacker
SuperBacker

Postby camneliops80 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:53 pm

I guess I'm not opposed to either artist for the SFW examples, but I feel like the characters' faces look a bit off. Haru has some major dark circles under his eyes that make him look super tired, and the big, glossy lower lip feels kind of awkward. His hair looks great, though!

Jin's sample has excellent lighting. I'm having a harder time pinpointing what looks odd about his face, but I'm just not crazy about it. Maybe it's that he looks a lot older, somehow? If I had to choose between them, I'd probably go with the second artist, though.

SentimentalTrickster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SentimentalTrickster » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:07 pm

ChaosMorning wrote:I think it's the zip. It's downloading as a.. not a corrupt file, but my computer isn't registering it as any type of file. Doesn't seem to know what it is. The link would probably be best?

No problem, I added the uncompressed pictures in the first post.

camneliops80 wrote:I guess I'm not opposed to either artist for the SFW examples, but I feel like the characters' faces look a bit off. Haru has some major dark circles under his eyes that make him look super tired, and the big, glossy lower lip feels kind of awkward. His hair looks great, though!

Jin's sample has excellent lighting. I'm having a harder time pinpointing what looks odd about his face, but I'm just not crazy about it. Maybe it's that he looks a lot older, somehow? If I had to choose between them, I'd probably go with the second artist, though.

Yeah, Haru's hair is my favorite part and the artist would need to work on the eyes and lips. I called the sample "good" because, overall, I think it has a lot of potential and could be awesome with some tinkering. As for Jin, I think his nose shadow is too low and that's why he looks older. I've already pointed it out and Elalu promised to work on it :)
― Jim Butcher, Changes

camneliops80
SuperBacker
SuperBacker

Postby camneliops80 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:42 pm

I promise I'm not trying to be rude or to rag on the artists. Like you said, they definitely have potential! The game is already shaping up to look wonderful, and I can't wait to learn more about the story.

SentimentalTrickster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SentimentalTrickster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:44 am

camneliops80 wrote:I promise I'm not trying to be rude or to rag on the artists. Like you said, they definitely have potential! The game is already shaping up to look wonderful, and I can't wait to learn more about the story.

Naturally! I'm posting everything here to get your honest opinions. The artists will appreciate them as well.

Me and Elalu worked to improve Jin (e.g. more shadow on the bottom of his nose so he doesn't look that old :D) and we made a sample CG. I'm satisfied with the result, but what do you think? We already have great backgrounds. Would it be acceptable to have such CGs in the game?

― Jim Butcher, Changes

Return to “Game Updates”